INFL UENCE OF STEER AND HEIFER BLOOD SERUM IN
By Makkawi, A. Aziz AfElrahman, W. R Threlfall.
Twenty four semen samples from 13 Holstein bulis, 6 to 7 years of age, were used to test the effect of adding 10% heat-treated blood serum from steers and heifers to Egg yolk extender. The effects of serum on percent alive, percent motility, percent head-to-head agglutination (HHA), And acrosomal damages of the spermatozoa were evaluated in vitro at temperature of 50 C and 370 C The analysis of variance showed significant difference due to extenders for percent alive (P<0.01,motility (P<0.01), agglutination (P=0.01.), and acrosomal damages (P<0.01), in the analysis of data up to 24 h of storage. Head-to-head agglutination occurred following the addition of serum. More HHA (P,0.01) occurred at 50 C than at 370 C Max.imum HHA occurred after 12 h when storage was at 50 C, while at 370 C maximum HHA occurred after 2h. Percent motility was not correlated ( r= 0.01; P=0.014) with acrosomal damages or (r=0.07:P=025) with HHA. A negative correlation (r=-012; P=004) "vas found between HHA and acrosomal damages. The results obtained from this experiment reflected that addition of 10% blood serum from steers or heifers had the same effect on maintaining the percent alive, motility, and acrosomal integrity, but the heifer serum had more influence on percent tfrIA, which might indicate a sex hormonal influence.
- Bavister, B.D. and R.Yamagimachi (1977). effects of sperm extract, and energy sources on the motility and acrosome reaction of hamster spermatozoa, In Vitro. BioI. Reprod, 16:228.
- Blackshaw,A.W. (1953). The motility of ram bull spermstozoa in dilute suspension. 1. Gen. PhysioL, 36:449.
- Boettcher,B.DJ.Kay,P.. Rumke and L. E. Wright (1971). Human sera containing immunoglobulin sperm agglutinins. BioI. Reprod, 5:236.
- BreddelTI1an P. 1.and R.H. Foote (1971) Factors stabilizing bull sperm cell volume and prolonging motility at high dilution. Expt. Cell.Res,
- Brown, DV. and PL Senger (1980) The influence of homologous blod serum on motility and head-to-head agglutination in non-motile ejaculated bovine spelTI1atozoa. BioI. Reprod 23 (NO 2), 272.
- Brown, D.V. (1981). The influence of blood serum and in vitro incubation of motility and head-to-head agglutination in non-motile spermatozoa. Dissertation Abstrs., int, Vo1.42, NO.05.
- Cheng.P L.E Casida and G.R.Barrett (1949) Effects of dilution on motility of bull spermatozoa and the relationship between motility in high dilution and fertility. J. Anim. Sci, 8.81.
- Emmens ,CW. and G.l.M. Swyer (1984). Observation on the motility of rabbit spermatozoa in dilute suspension J. Gen. PhysioL 32: 121.
- Flipse,E,J, AP Patton and J.D. Almquist (1954) . Dilutors for bovine
- GooduightJH, JP. SaIl And W.s.Sarle (1982) General linear models procedure. In SAS Users Guide: statistics,SAS Institute Inc,Cary,N .C
- Gordon, M., PU. Dandeker, and W. Bartoszewicz (1975) The surface coat of epididymal ejaculated and capacitated spermJ. Uitrastruc.Res.
- Hamson. R.Ap. , Hrv1. Dott and G.C Fosters (1978). Effects of ionic
- Harvey,W.R. (1985). Mixed model least-squares and ma"Ximum likelihood computer program. The Ohio State University, Columbus,OH.
- Koehler, J.K. (1976). Changes in antigenic site distribution on rabbit Spermatozoa after incubation in "capacitating" media. Roil. Reprod.,
- Kreider, J.L., W.C.Trindall and G.D. Potter (1985). Inclusion of bovine serum albumin in semem extenders to enhance maintenance of stallion sperm viability. Theriogenology 23, (NO.2):339.
- Mann, T. (1964). The biochemistry of semen and the male reproductive tract, Methuen, London, 343-346.
- Ngah, M.B.,K.W. Kelley and PL. Senger (1982) Bovine immunoglobulin M as a major factor contributing to sperm induced head-to head agglutination in bovine spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod. 27:62.
- Saacke, R.O. M.L.O Conner and J.E. (1976). ChandlerSpenn concentration, the acrosome, and the agglutinationI.Anim. Sci.
- Salisbury, G. W, N.L. Van Demark and S.R. Lodge. (1978). Physiology of Reproduction and Artificial Insemination of Cattle (2nd Ed.)W.H. Freeman and Co , San francisco.
- Salisbury,G.W.and F.B. Flerchinger (1967) Aging phenomena in spennatozoa. J. Daity Sci, 50: l675
- Salisbury,G.W.H.K.Fuller and E.LWillett (1941). PreervatlOn of bovine spermatozoa· in yolk citrate diluent and field results from its usc. J Dairy Sci, 24905.
- Salisbury G.W. (1968). Fertilizing abiLity and biological aspects of sperm storage in vitro.6 tho Int .Conger on Animal Reprod. Paris,111189
- Sen ger, PLJF McCutchan and J.K Hillers (1 98 1) Influence of blood serum from bulls and heifers on head-to head agglutination and acrosomal maintenance in bovine spermatozoa. BioL Reprod, 25433
- Senger,P.L. and R. O. Saacke (1976) Serum head-to head agglutination of bovine spermatozoa. J. Reprod Ferti!. 47217.
- Senger,P.L. and R.G. Saacke (1973) Effect of blood serum on bovine spermatozoa. J. Anim. Sci .. 37328 .
- Vander, AJ,H. Sherman and D.S. Luciano (1985) Human physiology. The Mechanism of Body function (4th Ed)P304 Mc Graw -HIll Book Co, New York
- Watson, P .F. (1975) Use of a Giemas stain to detect changes in acrosomes of frozen ran spermatozoa. Vet.Rec., 9712
- White, I G. (1953) . The effects of potassium on the washing and dilution of . mammalian spermatozoa. Aust. J Exp BioL,31 .192.
- Yanagimachi, R. (1970). In Vitro capacitation of golden hamster spermatozoa by homologous and heterologous blood sera.Biol.Repro., 13147.